Author Topic: Hello from Chicago!  (Read 184 times)

lopatkam

• View Profile
    • Lopatka.com
Hello from Chicago!
« on: May 08, 2019, 10:04:09 AM »
Thanks for creating this site.  Looks very well designed and a clean layout.  I am interested to see what others are doing, and hopefully this community will continue to grow over time.

I have a real Prusa MK3 (soon to be an MK3s, parts sitting on my workbench) that I built from a kit as well as a clone that I made.  The clone is an MK2.5s that works great.  I bought some Prusa motors I found online and purchased the MK2 to MK2.5s upgrade and frame directly from Prusa.  I purchased the board from UltiMaker because I am concerned about running that much current through something made in China.  I’ll post some images, and video, when I get home tonight.

I just finished printing the parts for my second clone this past weekend and will begin to assemble it this weekend.  The goal of this second one is to use all non-Prusa parts.  The frame is wood, and the motors are generic.  I will use an UltiMaker board, even though it’s about twice the price as a Chinese clone.  I also purchased the extruder from Bondtech, with the motor.  I looked at the teeth of the Chinese extruder parts and was concerned, to say the least.  Total cost for this one is about $450 (not sure what that is in pounds or euros.). I know I could get it under $300, but I also want something that works (and not catch on fire.)

Additionally, I have a modified Ender 3 Pro with direct drive and an MKS Gen L board with 2100 drivers.  Works well, but I am intrigued about making this into a Prusa Clone as well.  Maybe this fall, hate to be indoors much during the very brief summers here!

Thanks for the work of putting this site together, and hopefully this community will continue to grow.  I am looking forward the ideas of others, and more than willing to share my experiences as well.  As I always tell people when I teach them how to brew beer, “success is a poor teacher.”  This is true for 3D printing, and very true for going off road building Prusa clones!

Mark

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Chicago!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:01:22 AM »
Hey  :-)  Welcome to the site.

Sounds like you have already done a few great projects :-)  Would love to see some photos (which reminds me I need to up the size allowance..)

More than happy to help if I can, some firmware changes would be required for your standard motors but that's not a problem at all.   Love the Ender upgrade, so love the MKS boards, really easy to use and program.

I've just ordered one of the creality new motherboards with silent drivers from Ali-express for my ender 3.. just thought I would give it a go. 

Sounds like you have a printer addiction problem.. is that 3 or 4 printers you have already?   lol

Steve

lopatkam

• View Profile
    • Lopatka.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 01:28:11 PM »
Yes, I do have three printers that work, and one more ready to build.  From what I understand, the first step towards a cure is for one to admit they have a problem.  I don’t want to admit it, I want to enjoy this affliction as long as I can!  I guess it’s called PAS (Prusa Acquisition Syndrome.)  At first, I really thought getting my MK3 would be all I needed.  That is until I sent my first 21 hour print.  As I sat there stunned looking at the estimated time, I purchased an Ender 3 Pro.

While the Ender 3 Pro did work OK, I knew I needed to fix it.  This printer was not close at all to the quality of the MK3.  Now it’s working great. 

Unfortunately, I got the “itch” (the aforementioned PAS) from the satisfaction of rebuilding the Ender 3 Pro and wanted more of that feeling.  I started out in life as an engineer, but as I moved up in my career, I got farther and farther away from my true calling.  All I do now is work on contracts. work with lawyers, and employee issues.  3D printing gave me the feeling of being an engineer again, both in designing 3D prints, and modifying the printer.  So I jumped all in by making the Prusa clone. 

The next clone is not needed, but I want the challenge of building one that will no doubt be filled with challenges and issues to overcome.  I have a hard stop on this project by the end of this month because I want to be outside enjoying the weather.

It appears that you have at least three printers!  I would assume, you, and others on the site, would have multiple printers.  After all, building a clone already requires the use of one printer, as well as a strong commitment to this hobby. 

My wife has still not made up her mind about this hobby.  Spending late nights in the basement is something she finds odd, to say the least.  But once in a while I print something that she really likes which buys me a little more time, and finical funding, to continue.  While I am the household CIO, she is the CFO.

The Ender 3 with those drivers is much quieter than the MK3 since Creality uses soft wheels and not the metal bearings.  It really is amazing how quiet that is.  You will be shocked when you install your new board.

Mark

lopatkam

• View Profile
    • Lopatka.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 09:19:48 PM »
Here is a picture I just took of the first clone I built.