Author Topic: Original Mk2s with SKR v1.3  (Read 482 times)

Sven

• View Profile
Original Mk2s with SKR v1.3
« on: July 02, 2019, 04:28:54 PM »
First time poster!  Happy to have found this place ...

Damnit, I found this after ordering a main board.  Anyway, I have an original Mk2s and one of the SM mosfets burned out.  My Mk2s has a couple of broken plastic parts, damaged in my move from Arizona to California, but otherwise it was a great printer before the board broke.

I didn't want to buy a new Einsy board due to the cost, so I bought an MKS Gen L (awful power and temperature management) which I gave up on, but I just had a 32 bit SKR v1.3 delivered today.  It'll run Marlin 2.0.

But how to set it up?  I can bodge through the config to make it sorta work but I wonder if anyone has a config file for a Prusa i3 Mk2s I can get some hints from?

-Steve
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 06:39:32 PM by Sven »

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Original Mk2s with SKR v1.3
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 01:38:33 PM »
Hi Steve,

It shouldn't be that hard as long as you can wire it up right.  I would start by downloading the source firmware for the prusa mk2 and writing down the values in the configuration file.. things like steps / motor direction etc.. That should at least get you close.  I'm not familiar with that board but have played with Marlin 2.0

So.. go to - https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware/tree/MK3/Firmware/variants

Just click on which version you have and then open up marlin 2.0 on another screen and just copy values over working down.

You will need to enable the pinda probe, so fixed probe.. then the offset etc. 

Let me know how you get one.

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 02:53:24 PM »
Thanks, mate.  Why didn't I think of that?

The board showed up yesterday, cost me under $50 from Amazon with the 2208 drivers, which I think is a screaming deal.

I think the PINDA sensor and the offset and the bed locations may be the most challenging part of this.  I'll be back with updates.

-Steve

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 03:20:20 PM »
I downloaded Marlin 2.0-bugfix, extracted and initial config, got PlatformIO and Atom installed and performed the first compile and upload of the firmware to the board and it worked great.  I downloaded the config file for the board I had in my Mk2s from here:

https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware/blob/MK2/Firmware/variants/1_75mm_MK1-RAMBo13a-E3Dv6full.h

Lesson #1:  Remember to move the 5V/USB jumper for the initial config so the board will take power from the USB.  When I attach a real power supply I need to remember to move the shunt jumper back to 5V.

Lesson #2:  After uploading new code, after power cycling the board, remember to also hold down the reset button for 3 secs.

Note:  When I upgraded the code to the latest 2.0 the name of my serial port changed.  I'm using a Mac.

Seems to have what I need in it for now so I'll start trying to get these values in Marlin 2.0 and see what gives.  Lots of reading and tinkering to come!

Thanks again!

-Steve

SENDING:M115
FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin bugfix-2.0.x (Github) SOURCE_CODE_URL:https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Prusa i3 Mk2s EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:cede2a2f-41a2-4748-9b12-c55c62f367ff
Cap:SERIAL_XON_XOFF:0
Cap:BINARY_FILE_TRANSFER:0
Cap:EEPROM:1
Cap:VOLUMETRIC:1
Cap:AUTOREPORT_TEMP:1
Cap:PROGRESS:0
Cap:PRINT_JOB:1
Cap:AUTOLEVEL:0
Cap:Z_PROBE:0
Cap:LEVELING_DATA:0
Cap:BUILD_PERCENT:0
Cap:SOFTWARE_POWER:0
Cap:TOGGLE_LIGHTS:0
Cap:CASE_LIGHT_BRIGHTNESS:0
Cap:EMERGENCY_PARSER:0
Cap:PROMPT_SUPPORT:0
Cap:AUTOREPORT_SD_STATUS:0
Cap:THERMAL_PROTECTION:1
Cap:MOTION_MODES:0
Cap:CHAMBER_TEMPERATURE:0

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 03:30:49 PM by Sven »

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 09:11:20 AM »
Seems you are well on with it now. :-)  I've not played with 32bit boards yet... fingers crossed for you.

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 04:29:17 PM »
Started grinding through the Mk2 config file from github and comparing it to the Marlin config files.  Not finding everything, but I'll keep digging.

I need to break from this and get one of my Ender 3s working again (constant tinkering means I have zero working printers) so I can reprint some Prusa parts that got broken in my move.  Then I can hook up the board and do some real testing ... might be a couple weeks with work and honey-do's, etc.

-Steve

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 01:05:11 PM »
I think I have the board pretty well setup now, but the printer itself needs some parts reprinting as they broken in my move from Arizona.  Working on my old Ender 3 to get it to print the parts.  I'll re-print with PETG after the Prusa is working.

-Steve