Author Topic: Wanhao D9 Mk2 Waggster CR10Pro Firmware  (Read 3435 times)

jcyavari

• View Profile
Re: Wanhao D9 Mk2 Waggster CR10Pro Firmware
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2020, 07:01:41 PM »
Updates... Figured some things out on my own.

Autolevel: I never got autolevel to run from the firmware, but G28 + G29 + M500 works.

Filament runout sensor: Enabled on pin 8 (see attached drawing from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3521059). I added a jumper between pin 8 and ground to get M119 to read "filament:open"
Reversed extruder direction: I physically reversed the stepper motor cable on one end. Apparently this is a Monoprice thing...
Failure to print: unsolved so far. ***Edit: see below. Bad g-code. Fixed.

-----
For anyone wanting to know how to do so with the v1.5 interconnect / splitter / breakout board (with inductive sensor / without BLTouch):
I soldered connections to the following:
Pin 1 = Control Signal (Orange)
Pin 11 = Z-Min (White)
Pin 12 = +5V (Red)
Pin 14 = Ground (Brown/Black)
*Pins numbered according to fist attached image (found on d9 public facebook page).
**Colors according to send attached image (found @ https://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/3DTouch_Auto_Leveling_Sensor#Wiring)

I also added a jumper between the old inductive sensor Signal and Ground according to: https://www.antclabs.com/creality3d-board
(Take heed of their note to avoid jumping anything to the +24V!!)
The board has a 10kOhm pull-up resistor between Z-Min (Pin 11) and +5V (which I left alone).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:04:20 PM by jcyavari »

Eridyne

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2020, 09:21:28 PM »
Odd that you can't get it going from firmware, for the autolevel. Wonder if that has something to do with the wiring, compared to the newer breakout board...?

The firmware does have the sensor flagged as present, but M412 S0 should disable it in effect, regardless of the actual state reported by M119. I checked, just to be sure, by rebuilding from source with the runout sensor disabled - M412 then gets an unknown command response, and no runout sensor shows in the response for M119, and got no change - the printer still won't do anything.

jcyavari

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2020, 09:50:42 PM »
Apparently I had some sort of error in the g-code. not sure what, but I re-sliced a different stl, and it's printing. Awesome!

***IGNORE BELOW***
I think this is causing the print to fail (debug info follows):

Resend: 1
ok P15 B4
Error:No Checksum with line number, Last Line: 0
[ERROR] Error:No Checksum with line number, Last Line: 0

Is this a gcode issue (same error with cura and with prusaslicer+waggster config) or a firmware issue? or combination?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:32:10 PM by jcyavari »

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2020, 02:32:23 AM »
Morning all, 

Sorry for the late reply it was the middle of the night here when you posted.

The firmware I released was not for your model of printer which is the Monoprice MP Maker Pro from what I understand. I would be more than happy to work with you to get a version out there that saves having to rewire / add jumper etc...  The only printer I know it 100% works with is the D9 mk2 300 factory as that's the one I have.

So....  from reading up to get a firmware to work on the Monoprice MP Maker Pro can you confirm the following;

Extruder direction requires reversing
Filament sensor is not available (none fitted)
Location of probe?  Is this x27 y-3 located?

Anything else I missed?

It would be great if we can include these as well if possible since only small changes are required.

Happy to help if I can,

Steve

jcyavari

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2020, 02:57:20 AM »
Very much appreciate the work so far!

1. extruder direction: It required reversing on my machine... that's all I can confirm.
2. filament sensor: can confirm that none is fitted on Monoprice Maker Pro Mk1.
3. location of the probe: It really depends what mount you use. Those measurements are pretty close for the mount that I printed, but I'm waiting on all new hotend, extruder, linear rails, and fans from China so for now, I just wanted to make sure the firmware "worked."

Re: wiring... Wanhao makes a Mk1->Mk2 upgrade interface board which includes the rewire/jumper, but (1) they sell it as the kit which includes the BLTouch, and (2) it's expensive (~$40 for the kit). I opted to spend time vs. money and posted my findings for anyone else who might want to do the same (albeit hopefully they'll spend less time than I did!).

Eridyne

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2020, 10:16:04 AM »
I second the appreciation there, this is very nice work.

For a slightly different perspective, Monoprice MP Maker Pro (D9 300 Mk1) with the Wanhao Mk2 upgrade kit, including the updated breakout board and BLtouch:

Thermistors, heaters, endstops, BLTouch, and steppers all function correctly, and in the correct direction, where applicable.
Extruder direction is correct, no reversal required. It printed one test part on this firmware, so it at least kinda works.
Autolevel works, levelling GUI is fine.

As for probe location, the MP Maker Pro is about x26 y3 (plus or minus) for the original sensor. The Mk2 upgrade-provided bracket ("printed amounting plate" - yes, really) for the BLTouch leaves X unchanged, but shifts Y another ~23mm farther back, to y26-ish. I use a different bracket, so this is all just poking things with calipers while they're apart.

Power loss detection isn't enabled, though I believe there's a power loss pin physically present.
Filament sensor is definitely not present. Would be nice, but it was not to be.

jcyavari

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2020, 10:21:59 AM »
I second the appreciation there, this is very nice work.

For a slightly different perspective, Monoprice MP Maker Pro (D9 300 Mk1) with the Wanhao Mk2 upgrade kit, including the updated breakout board and BLtouch:

Thermistors, heaters, endstops, BLTouch, and steppers all function correctly, and in the correct direction, where applicable.
Extruder direction is correct, no reversal required. It printed one test part on this firmware, so it at least kinda works.
Autolevel works, levelling GUI is fine.

As for probe location, the MP Maker Pro is about x26 y3 (plus or minus) for the original sensor. The Mk2 upgrade-provided bracket ("printed amounting plate" - yes, really) for the BLTouch leaves X unchanged, but shifts Y another ~23mm farther back, to y26-ish. I use a different bracket, so this is all just poking things with calipers while they're apart.

Power loss detection isn't enabled, though I believe there's a power loss pin physically present.
Filament sensor is definitely not present. Would be nice, but it was not to be.

You can use the info that I provided to add the runout sensor. Includes info for mount, transducer, and wiring. Looks easy. I'll have it done as soon as the slow boat arrives from PRK. :)

Maybe I should've saved the hassle by getting the Mk2 kit from Wanhao, but at least now the info is there for others to follow and I think my brace system might be a bit better (and cheaper).

Eridyne

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2020, 12:46:30 PM »
I did see that, the pointer is much appreciated! Hadn't found that part, and I like how it'll work with just one socket on the board. Fortunately it's pretty easy to recompile Marlin, so changing things isn't a huge deal.

Figure I'll get that going... probably in conjunction with switching to rails on Z. X and Y are already done and a vast improvement over those terrible carriages.

The Mk2 kit is decent, but the BLTouch bracket they give you isn't great, and I seem to recall that the provided .hex file had the wrong values for the sensor offset... The Wanhao Z-braces are pretty solid, but I like that you've got rear ones as well, and yours being adjustable would make it very convenient to make structural changes.

A few thoughts - though I bet you've figured at least some of these, maybe some will be helpful. The Y belt runs ridiculously out of parallel, with how the idler, stepper, and bed attachment points are mounted. Bleugh's X-axis parts are great, as are most of his others (I think I see the X idler and motor mount on your printer already) but combined with them, if you use the MGN12 head bracket on thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3401402/ it puts the X belt about 3mm out of vertical alignment. And Bleugh's MGN12 bed mount parts make the Y "your belt is a triangle" issue way worse, by adding a little height to the bed. Also, fans. Just fans. Terrible. All of them.

Lecaramel

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2020, 11:09:47 AM »
Hi CdRsKuLL and thank you for your hard work on porting the CR10S Pro firmware on the D9.
I have the CR10S Pro as well and I'm happy to be able to replace the default firmware.

However, I have a problem: my bed is homing in the wrong direction (-Y). When I press the home button, the bed is going in the reversed direction which doesn't have end stop.
I have to say that I have the latest D9 Mk2 (which is a V4, with the head reversed (nozzle is very close to the X axis). I uploaded the "Upgraded as I thought it was for this latest version. Perhaps it's the other one?

Thanks!

jcyavari

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2020, 11:43:46 AM »
A few thoughts - though I bet you've figured at least some of these, maybe some will be helpful. The Y belt runs ridiculously out of parallel, with how the idler, stepper, and bed attachment points are mounted. Bleugh's X-axis parts are great, as are most of his others (I think I see the X idler and motor mount on your printer already) but combined with them, if you use the MGN12 head bracket on thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3401402/ it puts the X belt about 3mm out of vertical alignment. And Bleugh's MGN12 bed mount parts make the Y "your belt is a triangle" issue way worse, by adding a little height to the bed. Also, fans. Just fans. Terrible. All of them.

Much appreciated. I figured that I'd print out what seemed like the best upgrade parts on thingiverse (bleugh's included) in PLA to see where I want to go from there. My extruder and hot end are arriving tomorrow, so this week I'll get everything fitted and modify / make some new 3d models to adjust the things you've listed. I also want to beef up the x gantry / rail setup. Maybe add in a second linear rail on the bottom of the gantry and use an aluminum u channel as a mount. Once everything is adjusted I'll reprint with abs (maybe replace some parts with aluminum? Eventually I'll have my local glass shop make me an enclosure with 1/4 inch plate glass. Then I'll be in business.

jcyavari

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2020, 06:09:29 PM »
Did some measuring + shopping today and found these should work for mounting up the x gantry extrusion to hotend and z rails. I'll 3d print a template for drilling holes.

Eridyne

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2020, 04:09:03 AM »
I wonder what you're looking at doing to mount the various bits, and even more so as to your plan for a glass enclosure. It'd be interesting to see the results, if you intend to share. As for the second rail, I wouldn't think the forces on the X gantry are really sufficient to justify it...?

Personally, seriously considering shifting the entire Z post/X gantry assembly slightly and flipping it front-to-back, then flipping just the extruder assembly, so it'd ride right between the posts. Should just barely fit without having to move the Y rails or bed. Maybe I'll replace the whole gantry setup and mount a completely different extruder and hotend, eventually...?

That said, for now I'm still testing parts as well. I've got the X-axis down to something completely workable, but the Z needs rails, not to mention I still haven't fully fixed the out-of-parallel Y belt problem.

jcyavari

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2020, 10:21:41 AM »
I wonder what you're looking at doing to mount the various bits, and even more so as to your plan for a glass enclosure. It'd be interesting to see the results, if you intend to share. As for the second rail, I wouldn't think the forces on the X gantry are really sufficient to justify it...?

Personally, seriously considering shifting the entire Z post/X gantry assembly slightly and flipping it front-to-back, then flipping just the extruder assembly, so it'd ride right between the posts. Should just barely fit without having to move the Y rails or bed. Maybe I'll replace the whole gantry setup and mount a completely different extruder and hotend, eventually...?

That said, for now I'm still testing parts as well. I've got the X-axis down to something completely workable, but the Z needs rails, not to mention I still haven't fully fixed the out-of-parallel Y belt problem.

I plan to heat the enclosure (to print abs--maybe hotter) and mainly wanted to reduce/eliminate flammability and loss of strength at higher temps. strength/rigidity should be a nice bonus.

The glass enclosure is just going to be 7 (5 for sides and top/bottom, 2 for front) pieces of 1/4 inch window pane with 3/4 inch aluminum 90 degree angle all around. i'll have the glass shop finish all the edges except the front to 45 deg and i'll use a diamond bit to make holes around the perimeter to secure the glass to the channel. The front pane of glass will be split vertically down the center and left and right sides will be on simple glass hinges between the top and bottom. diamond bits to drill holes for power, filament, and maybe a fire suppression system if i am feeling fancy...

i'll have to do some research to see if a paintball CO2 tank + motorized/smart valve connected to octopi would be sufficient to put out a fire in a relatively well-sealed glass enclosure of this volume.

attached are by my sketched thoughts re:mounting to square tubes.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:44:56 AM by jcyavari »

Eridyne

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2020, 05:39:52 AM »
Ahh, yeah, flammability is a concern for acrylic. Personally, knowing myself, I'd break a big sheet of glass before the week was out, so acrylic it is for me - and I doubt I'll need my enclosure over 90C. Yours sounds like an extremely nice plan, just not one for the klutzy among us.

Fire suppression, I like the idea, and if the enclosure is reasonably well-sealed, I would think flushing it with inert gas should work well, provided good placement of gas nozzles and vents to effectively replace the internal atmosphere. I figure you could get away with a reasonably-sized CO2 tank... I think it's something like 8 cu ft per lb, but don't quote me on that. The trick will probably be sourcing affordable(ish) parts for things like a dump valve and the initial fire detection, and bodging them together in a way that comes out fail-safe, rather than fail-deadly. Likely doable with reliable fire detection, some method of external power cutoff, and a fast valve. Maybe industrial cryogenic gas valves, or perhaps nitrous dump valves intended for auto racing? Something like that.

I'm going to still say that, most probably, a single rail on X would be sufficient. It also strikes me that alignment with twin X rails, the outer box frame, and the rail carriages, is going to be very hard, unless you have some spacers or the box frame itself machined to very good tolerances, assuming rail with trustworthy specs. If you get the oft-Chinese generic rail, specs might be a bit fluid. Also, if you do get the generic stuff, I suggest checking the bearings, the stock ones are kind-of-not-great, on average - though you may get lucky. I ended up with a lot of gr10 bearings, and they're a vast improvement, though gr10 is a little too precise of a spec for this application.

I do very much like your idea for the Z rail and assembly, and especially like the mounting block for the nut, though it could use another nut/spring, for anti-backlash, and maybe some variety of slip mount for the nuts themselves (or maybe the block as a whole?) instead of a rigid mount, to isolate any XY movement from the leadscrew... perhaps that's overkill?

(No offense or criticism intended, just throwing out thoughts.)

jcyavari

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2020, 09:07:20 PM »
Ahh, yeah, flammability is a concern for acrylic. Personally, knowing myself, I'd break a big sheet of glass before the week was out, so acrylic it is for me - and I doubt I'll need my enclosure over 90C. Yours sounds like an extremely nice plan, just not one for the klutzy among us.

Fire suppression, I like the idea, and if the enclosure is reasonably well-sealed, I would think flushing it with inert gas should work well, provided good placement of gas nozzles and vents to effectively replace the internal atmosphere. I figure you could get away with a reasonably-sized CO2 tank... I think it's something like 8 cu ft per lb, but don't quote me on that. The trick will probably be sourcing affordable(ish) parts for things like a dump valve and the initial fire detection, and bodging them together in a way that comes out fail-safe, rather than fail-deadly. Likely doable with reliable fire detection, some method of external power cutoff, and a fast valve. Maybe industrial cryogenic gas valves, or perhaps nitrous dump valves intended for auto racing? Something like that.

I'm going to still say that, most probably, a single rail on X would be sufficient. It also strikes me that alignment with twin X rails, the outer box frame, and the rail carriages, is going to be very hard, unless you have some spacers or the box frame itself machined to very good tolerances, assuming rail with trustworthy specs. If you get the oft-Chinese generic rail, specs might be a bit fluid. Also, if you do get the generic stuff, I suggest checking the bearings, the stock ones are kind-of-not-great, on average - though you may get lucky. I ended up with a lot of gr10 bearings, and they're a vast improvement, though gr10 is a little too precise of a spec for this application.

I do very much like your idea for the Z rail and assembly, and especially like the mounting block for the nut, though it could use another nut/spring, for anti-backlash, and maybe some variety of slip mount for the nuts themselves (or maybe the block as a whole?) instead of a rigid mount, to isolate any XY movement from the leadscrew... perhaps that's overkill?

(No offense or criticism intended, just throwing out thoughts.)

I did some measuring and came up with these sketches (screenshot in fusion 360+mspaint markup). The dimensions call for a 1.7mm (14ga) shim for the lower x-axis linear rail carriage, but i'll plan on that being an iterative determination.

I'll probably also cut the unused back portion off of the hotend/extruder mount tube, rotate it, and epoxy it to the front face to mount the belt ends, 5015 fans/ducts, and bltouch leaving a reasonable, but not excessive, amount of clearance for the e3d v6 hotend. The titan extruder stepper motor mounts on  top of the tube.

I think it should be suuuuper rigid and balanced without being much heavier than the original setup.