Author Topic: Artillery X1 v4 TFT seems to not be communicating  (Read 478 times)

pohlusmc

• View Profile
Artillery X1 v4 TFT seems to not be communicating
« on: March 09, 2020, 06:57:14 PM »
I recently installed (Waggster X-1 v1.5) and the BLtouch works fine, and I can send commands from my Octopi and it will move.  But I can't seem to use the TFT, the menus work but nothing happens when I press the buttons.  Also, the temps are all zero.  My cable for the TFT to board connection is different than others I'm seeing as its only a 4 wire ribbon and I have no other connections to plug in wrong.

I did everything without the Octopi first and only started using it to see what the USB was seeing when I press buttons.

Could it be something as simple as changing Configuration.h from:

#define SERIAL_PORT 0
//#define SERIAL_PORT_2 -1

to:

#define SERIAL_PORT -1
#define SERIAL_PORT_2 0

or:

#define SERIAL_PORT 0 -1
#define SERIAL_PORT_2 0
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 03:28:52 PM by pohlusmc »

pohlusmc

• View Profile
Re: Artillery X1 v4 TFT seems to not be communicating
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 07:50:53 PM »
As I keep messing with this, I feel like Marlin 2.x refuses to let the TFT and USB share a serial connection and just talk. I also believe the MKS Gen L may not allow me to run 2 serial ports without constructing a custom cable after I find the available pins. 

But I still can't figure out why the TFT refuses to connect when there is no other device connected on startup...

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 01:58:54 AM »
Hi, I would be tempted to go back to the start and first flash the hex file and redo the touchscreen just to confirm you have a fully working printer using the Waggster mod and the touchscreen. 

I would then just try to compile the included source and flash and test that. Once confirmed working then you have something solid to expand and play with.

However, it's my understanding that they both share the same com port so will never really play together nicely. 

pohlusmc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 05:21:55 AM »
Yeah, I'm ok with just using one at a time, but I want the TFT for the easier startup.  I'll flash the boards back to artillery firmware, disconnect the BLTouch and see where that leaves me.  I guess I could have done some basic troubleshooting steps before I jumped into the IDE.  I will also throw a logic analyzer on the aux digital pins to see if they work.

pohlusmc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 06:19:27 PM »
I flashed the firmware back to artillery vanilla.  No dice.  So I ordered a new TFT controller.  But I also checked on the pins for async serial data from the TFT and from the MKS Gen L board ( I hit buttons on the TFT and the board constantly spams temps while sampling) but was unable to pull anything usable from 250000 baud.  I may just need a new logic analyzer as its a few years old.  On the plus side, I reflashed to the 1.5 firmware and set my Z-offset via USB and was able to use a visualization tool to see the bed warpage and it was cool to see.  I'm gonna run a few prints and see what happens while I wait on the package.

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 03:09:39 AM »
Morning,

I have a v4 here so I will remove the base and take a photo for you, just so you can double-check all the wiring. I know on the v3 the touchscreen had two similar sockets and it was easy to get them mixed up.

You can also adjust the baud rate on the touchscreen.  If you look at the files you flash from the microsd card you will see a setting.txt file or something like that. You set it in that file before flashing, then power cycle.

Let me know how you get on.

pohlusmc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 08:54:15 AM »
Welp, I ordered the wrong TFT controller.  And that's probably due to me getting really excited that I found one with all China shut down.  I have gotten everything but the TFT working by using OctoPrint and a few add-ons with it.  I basically set the Z-offset by creating some buttons that would move in 0.024mm increments and then just inputting the rest manually.  I'm going to order the right TFT from China and it will get here when it gets here.  I love the bed mesh visualizer and I now am getting some pretty impressive results printing anywhere on the bed instead of having to avoid certain coordinates because of warpage. 

I am really happy with this mod.

zaf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 09:42:10 PM »
I've got the opposite problem, I can work the printer from the TFT, but USB is not working. Octoprint doesn't detect any serial devices showing up when I plug it in. Any ideas what could be going wrong?